Katie and I made an impromptu trip to the farm yesterday. She got to spend five hours playing with her Grammy and Pop and I some plywood on the outside of the tiny house. Once this layer is down I’ll wrap the walls in housewrap and then screw on a layer of pallet boards on for the final exterior finish.
I’m still hunting for roofing material and currently thinking I may just focus on searching for some scrap corrugated roofing. After experiencing extreme winds and rain this past winter it just seems like the smartest solution for roofing is to use some kind of real metal roofing.
Below: Here’s what it looked like when I left. We’re expecting another storm this week so I resecured the tarp before I left.
Above: A mid-day shot with the tractor working the field in the background. This year the farmer that works the 40-acres has planted four separate crops for organic seeds, bok choy, swiss chart, carrots, and radishes. The carrots are right behind the tiny house.
Below: A close-up of a date stamp on one of the recycled pieces of plywood I’m using.
…and lastly Katie posing for a photo with the tractor :-)
A few weeks ago I scored some used plywood and OSB sheathing. We just found the photos we took so I thought I’d post news of this lucky find. Sheathing will add a lot of rigidity and strength to the shell. The only disadvantage is that they won’t give me the look the way I want but I think I can still do something with pallet boards on the exterior to achieve the finish I want.
After removing all the nails I’ll put it on the exterior walls and interior ceiling. But first I need to put some roofing on it and insulate the roof. I’ve had little luck finding anything suitable for the roof but I’ve also had little time to scrounge around… so at the very least I’ll cover it before the rain starts with roofing felt and possibly a tarp. At this point the less rain on the house the better.
The plywood is now stored in the shed/shop at the farm… well protected from the rain. It will stay there until I started putting it on the house.
It was a bit hot this past weekend but I got to spend a couple days working on the house. I had planned to put more boards on the roof but realized that I needed to first finish the eaves. They took a bit of time to build but I think they look pretty good, so even though I didn’t get as much done as I’d hoped I’m still happy with my progress. I came up with the 16×16 diamond window in both eaves on-the-fly and plan to make little opening windows for ventilation.