Katie and I made an impromptu trip to the farm yesterday. She got to spend five hours playing with her Grammy and Pop and I some plywood on the outside of the tiny house. Once this layer is down I’ll wrap the walls in housewrap and then screw on a layer of pallet boards on for the final exterior finish.
I’m still hunting for roofing material and currently thinking I may just focus on searching for some scrap corrugated roofing. After experiencing extreme winds and rain this past winter it just seems like the smartest solution for roofing is to use some kind of real metal roofing.
Below: Here’s what it looked like when I left. We’re expecting another storm this week so I resecured the tarp before I left.
Above: A mid-day shot with the tractor working the field in the background. This year the farmer that works the 40-acres has planted four separate crops for organic seeds, bok choy, swiss chart, carrots, and radishes. The carrots are right behind the tiny house.
Below: A close-up of a date stamp on one of the recycled pieces of plywood I’m using.
…and lastly Katie posing for a photo with the tractor :-)
On a quick trip to the farm yesterday I threw a tarp on the house’s roof and lashed it down with a bunch of bungees. It looks like we’re going to be in for quite an extended rain storm so I figured I better get up there to try and protect what I’ve done do far. Ironically those old pallets seemed in great shape for being out in the rain for so long already. I hope to have some kind of roofing in hand on my next trip to the farm so I can get past this major milestone.
Katie also got to spend a few hours with her grandparents and walk out in the muddy field to pick a few early organic radishes. The farmer that works the land did something new this year and instead of planting a cover crop he planted carrots, radishes, bok choy , and Swiss chard for seed. I guess the market for organic seeds is doing well.
I spent the last two days working in the Tiny Free House and got the other window lowered about 8 inches to clear the eaves and finished adding pallet boards to the roof. It was very slow going screwing all those boards to the trusses. I used an extension ladder from the outside for the lower boards and did the peak from the inside by coming up through the framing.
My next step is to cover the roof with roofing felt to protect the house from the rain and start on the siding on my next trip… unless my father-in-law scores form scrap sheet metal for me. He mentioned he knew a couple guys with sheet metal shops that often have shingle size scrap pieces of metal. Seems to me some galvanized scrap sheet metal would make some very nice shingles… nicer than #10 cans and still very free.